Academic Probation, Disqualification and Progress
Academic Standing is calculated one time following the end of Fall and of Spring grade processing. It is not calculated at the end of Winter or Summer sessions. Winter will be included in Spring calculations, Summer will be included in Fall calculations.
For detailed information, refer to the Academic Senate policy, Academic Standing, Probation, Disqualification and Reinstatement.
- Students who have been disqualified may not apply for immediate reinstatement.
- Undergraduate students (or students pursuing a second bachelor’s degree) who have been disqualified must, before applying to the University Standards Committee for reinstatement:
- Complete at least 12 graded semester-units at another accredited college or university, or through Extended Education at SSU.
- Pass ALL transferable units taken after disqualification from SSU with an average GPA of 2.0 or better.
- Endeavor to raise the student’s SSU and cumulative GPAs to a 2.0 or better.
- In choosing courses to take, undergraduate students should, whenever possible:
- Repeat courses with grades of C- or below.
- Complete any General Education areas that are not complete.
- Fulfill lower-division course requirements for the students’ major.
- In some cases, undergraduate students may not be able to take equivalent courses to raise their SSU or cumulative GPA to the required level without returning to SSU. In that case, the student should clearly outline the circumstances preventing raising the GPA in the reinstatement petition. The University Standards Committee may, in that case, reinstate a student conditionally.
- Graduate, credential or post-baccalaureate students who have been disqualified may not be reinstated through the above process, but must reapply for admisson to their department and the university.
- Disqualified students are reinstated on a probationary basis and must meet any requirements outlined in the reinstatement letter by the University Standards Committee.
- Refer to the "Reinstatement Checklist" for information on how to get reinstated.
- Second Disqualification: Students who have been reinstated after disqualification and then disqualified again may not be considered for reinstatement except under exceptional circumstances.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions with regards to Reinstatements.